Need answers or support?  Call 866-228-4673

Topics

2 replies [Last post]
stacia
Topics

Early next week we will be having a meeting finalizing the schedule for Teen HUC. We will have discussions on career choices, transition to college or work, practical tips in dealing with cognitive changes, dating and friendships. Our small group discussions will focus on empathy, bullying, and some social cues. Not everything is applicable to everyone, but those who do not have challenge in an area will serve as consultants. Please give me your feedback.

apfisterbrown

As I had mentioned to Stacia, I think it would be helpful if a camp discussion could address communicating to the "outside" world how they "could get it" like the people at camp do. At this juncture in their lives, the older teens need to be able to speak succinctly to others how they can be helped and understood better. For example..."I can't hear everyone" all of the time.....move forward in a group or tell the person that "I  did not hear you clearly. I had a chemo drug when I was younger that messed up my hearing. Tell me again what you said." Don't be afraid to educate those who do not understand.

I would also like to add that I am a high school guidance counselor. Going through the college process with Tori was enlightening. I do have some tips that I am willing to share. I think Tori could share some of our insight. I certainly could fill in the blanks as needed. I know Tori dreaded meeting with the Disabilities Office; however, parents and child need to do so prior to applying and/or enrolling to the college. Additionally, if you like the person in charge of disabilities, don't be afraid to ask if s/he will be there when your child will be enrolling.

stacia

Ann,

Thank you for the tips. We are working on a sheet for parents in dealing with Disability Offices and we would love your personal and professional expertise. If anyone else has had experience (both positive and negative), please let me know.

Being able to advocate for yourself with peers is difficult, but crucial in building and maintaining friendships. No one wants to be the person who is different. We can do lots of role plays on this topic. The hearing issue is one many people can relate to. Does anyone else have specifics in this area?

Stacia

©2009 Children's Brain Tumor Foundation.    1460 Broadway, New York, NY 10036    (866) 228-4673    info@cbtf.org

Privacy Policy   |   Site Map

X